Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Good ol Vitamin C




It seems that everywhere you look everyone is afraid of getting sick.. I have noticed recently in certain venues as well as some stores that hand sanitizer is set out in clear sight for anyone who may wish to use it.  I am of the belief that if you are going to get sick you will.  Not that I do not believe in precautions, as I do believe in cleanliness, yet sometimes I think you can take it a bit overboard.

Last evening after Vincent & I had been out on the bike for a wonderful ride in the brisk fall breeze (15 to 20 mph) I started to feel a bit snifflely.  Vincent immediately started to pump the decongestants and such into me.  I did have a bit of a worry that I might be coming down with something as we had had lunch with my son and his family on Sunday and they had all just recovered from the crud... Of course the medicine knocked me out like a light as it always does and I ventured off to bed early.

Waking up this morning I felt better yet could still tell that I had drainage down my throat.  Allergies are tremendously bad here at the moment.  With all the rain and cooler weather, mold and ragweed have went crazy... So being on constant Allegra is not unusual.  Although I really do not like the way the meds seem to always make me droggy and lacking in pep.



I was reminded of my grandpa when I was young.  He was a man who believed in fresh air and vitamins.  Three times a day he would sit in his huge recliner by his desk and take what appeared to be a small shot glass full of vitamins... This always amazed me as there were so many.  Of course curiosity always got to me and I wanted one.  Yet he would only give me one kind.  A big chewable orange Vitamin C.  I loved them.  He would always tell me that it could cure me of all sorts of things.  Of course I would believe him and eat it right up.  He did give me a Vitamin E once... but that is a whole nother story.

I guess what I am trying to say is... yes it is a bit more scary this summer.  There is a bit more out there than just the common cold, allergies or the common strains of flu that come once a year.  Yet I can't help but think that if one watches themselves via cleanliness by washing hands and areas around the house, make sure that their home is aired out when possible with fresh air, and keep their health up by eating healthy foods and taking their vitamins that in itself can help tremendously.  I know that all this will not prevent one 100% from catching anything but it definately can not hurt. 

And yes, I still take my Vitamin C, especially in the winter months.  And I likewise take my mess of vitamins each day.  Yet instead of a shot glass I use the wonderful little Monday through Friday box... Yea I know it is somewhat "old" and I do hide it when company comes... but what can I say it helps me to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment