Thursday, October 15, 2009

An American Standard


There is nothing like home cooked food except maybe home cooked food and a bargain.  In these days every penny saved helped.  Recently I found these pork cutlets at our local store that were at a price that I just could not turn away.  Basically 2 cutlets for no more than $2.00.  I remember my mother making steaks (chicken frys as we southern folk call it) with beef cutlets so I thought why not.

It is quite simple really, season with salt and pepper and cover with egg.  Then dredge each cutlet in flour to cover ample.  In a skillet with apx. 1/2 stick of butter melted (about med. heat) lay each cutlet.  Cook until golden brown on each side. 

Now for the rest of the meal.. Potatoes... of course.. Cook your potatoes with all the seasonings you wish.  I myself use salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and a about a tablespoon of butter.  The extra seasonings really add to the flavor and me.. well I am just a garlic freak.  I use it in everything. 
When preparing your gravy it is simple.  After your meat is done... keep the drippings on low heat... from the flour used previously spoon about 2 heaping tablespoons into the butter drippings and stir... cook for a few stirring while doing so.  Next take the excess water from the cooked potatoes and pour apx. 1 cup into the rue mixture.  The gravey will begin to thicken at this point.  Use as much water as needed to get the consistency you prefer.  The seasoning from the cooked potatoes add a wonderful touch to the gravey.  I usually also put about a 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup of milk or half and  half before it is done. 

Prepare your favorite vegetable and there you go... An American Standard... Good ole Chicken Fry with potatoes and gravy... And the cost is close to $5.00 for the entire meal.  You can't go out and get something this good for this kind of money... I gaurentee you....
It is by far a favorite....Enjoy.

1 comment: