Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Five years ago, I was given the blessing of being reunited with the boy I loved since I was 7 years old.  He was my brothers best friend as I grew up so he was around often.  Plus growing up in a small rural Oklahoma town as we did, we ran into each other often... However he was 3 grades ahead of me and I was the little sister of his best friend.  I was also a very timid child, something many people find hard to believe in my later years.  I admired him from afar and secretly told myself that he would someday be my husband.   Alas though this did not happen, at least not in the time frame I thought is would.  He married first then myself. 
As years went by both of our marriages were not what neither of us had expected or desired.  We hung in for various reasons, kids, vows & oaths, and the hope that it would eventually get better.  When it didn't we severed the ties and started our new lives. 

Then in August 04 my oldest sister passed suddenly.  I remember being at my mothers house the day after, sitting in the living room thinking of all that swam so swiftly around in my head. Wondering how I was going to be able to cope with the grief and the loss of her.  Then I heard my brother outside say his name, Vincent Sheik.  As I went out the front door and saw him, it was as if all those feelings I had as a little girl came rushing back into me.  I felt giddy and silly and when he hugged me it was as if I did not want to let him go.  We were connected instantly and have been ever since.

I like to think that although I lost my sister, that she was the one who brought the 2 of us together.  Today is our 3rd wedding anniversary and in a sense it is so fitting.  As it is also a time when we will thank Rosie, my sister, for being the angel that gave us both what we had always been looking for:  happiness and love. 

4 comments:

  1. I am crying! Happy Anniversary! I am glad you sister left you with this very special gift! She was definitely looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story.

    Losing someone is so hard, but when good comes from it, it makes it somewhat easier to bear.

    Happy Anniversary!!

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sniffling here....what a beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a beautiful story about you and Vincent. It made the loss of your sister less hard to cope with.

    Congrats on the anniversary, you two look really happy and so you should be.

    ReplyDelete