Thursday, December 10, 2009

A New Christmas Goodie - Nan's Christmas Snowballs

I love finding new recipes, especially at the holiday season and especially when they are so easy.  Nan at Sunlight on the Bough posted about these goodies a few days back and yesterday she posted how to make them.  What I love about this recipe is that it is one of those things that can tast so good and cause those around you to think you spent hours preparing... yet they are truly so easy.  I just had to share the secret. 
- First you take a boxed cake mix and prepare it according the package.
     You can use any flavor according to Nan.  She used Lemon in hers, I decided on a more general flavor:  Butter Cake.
-  When the cake is cooled crumble it up into a large bowl.
     I thought this was sort of fun really.  I think kids would love helping as you get to pull the cake from the pan and just crumble it up with your hands.... You can even sneak a bite or two if you like, what fun is that.
-  Into the crumbled cake stir one can of your favorite cake icing.
     Once again according to Nan you can use any flavor you like.  She used Lemon once again in hers. I tried sour cream frosting as it is my favorite.

When the mix has been blended well, spoon into small balls and place on a cookie sheet you have covered with wax paper to prevent slipping.  The mix is a bit sticky.  A helpful note, I found it helpful to wash my hands a few times to take the excess goo off, as I choose to roll my balls with my hands.  I have a symetrical fetish what can I say.  Place the balls in the freezer or a very cold place for aproximately 48 hours.  Seeing that Nan resides in northern Indiana where the great northern blew in this last week, she was able to sit hers on her back porch with a nice cool temperture near freezing.  I resided to placing mine in my freezer. 

Once you have let them sit, melt one package of Vanilla Almond Bark and dip each hardened ball.  You can use sprinkles for color and a nice festive touch.  I just started mine last night so currently they are sitting in the freezer.  Tomorrow I will have the pleasure of dipping them and boxing them up.  I usually do not post a recipe without tasting it yet this was far to simple and with just the instructions I have a feeling they are going to taste similar to those little petti fours you get at times... Plus the combinations of flavors are endless.  I would like to thank Nan for sharing as well as the use of her photos of her creations. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh these look yummy and how easy is that recipe!!

    I am totally going to have to try these!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan is really super-creative and she is one of the most generous bloggers around, too...

    ReplyDelete