Friday, January 15, 2010

Longing For Spring


I woke early this morning.  Did not sleep as good as I would have liked, yet as of late I wonder if that is because I am being prodded to rise a bit earlier.  I am the kind of person that can not sleep if the sun has risen in the sky.  Although at this time of year I don't have to worry to much about that.  The sun was far from anywhere near the horizon when I got up at 6 am. 

I think it is because I am eager for Spring to come.  A bit early for spring fever I know yet I always seem to get it early.  As soon as the first sign is evident I have it.  Unfortunately that is usually on December 21, the first day of winter.  I know that it is the shortest day of the year therefore each day thereafter is a tad bit longer.  Yea I know that the increase is trivial, especially in the beginning.  Yet it is still all mental to me, I can not help but think that spring is coming... Therefore when the first sign of warmer tempertures, and form of growth, or just sunshine, set me off into a longing for warmth. 

This winter has not helped matters at all.  With the temperatures being much colder than normal and a record snow fall I have been even more eager for the sun to return.  I am not a cold person... At least not Oklahoma cold. 

I snapped the picture above this morning as I went outdoors to let the cats out of the garage.  A large hawk frequents our yard on a daily basis.  Usually he sits high in the cottonwood tree which overlooks the entire yard, yet this morning he perched just outside the back door on the branch of a willow at the edge of the pond.  It was a quiet tranquil site and I took it in.  The heavy dew from the fog could be heard dripping from the branches into the water below.  The other birds were just beginning to rumage around for any morning feed they could find.  The sun had risen yet it was far from shining brightly.  Spring is slowly coming.  She takes her time as not to rush things to fast.  I keep having to tell myself.... all in due time.

2 comments:

  1. I think we will have an early spring! Our trees have started showing plump buds -- it's early for them to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a haunting photo! Here is my question: the little orange light on the right side of the photo is...? The sun? A neighbouring light? Will-o-the-wisp? Mysterious!

    I am ready for Spring too - SO ready!

    ReplyDelete