Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Peanut Butter Cookies


As the cooler weather continues and the sun decides to stay hidden by the clouds, the urge to bake is becoming stronger and stronger... I have tried somewhat to keep myself from its calling yet I think today I will give in. I have decided that my baking season has begun. Even if I have to give all my creations away. The urge is too strong.
Thus, today I decided to start small and make some cookies.. Usually Chocolate chip are the usual standby.. I love them soft and gooey, yet Vincent is not fond of them. So I will whip up a batch of his favotite, Peanut Butter. They also lend themselves nicely to the coolness and feeling of the coming Autumn.

This recipe is simple and usually one that is a favorite with my grandkids as they love to make the criss cross with the fork. Enjoy

1 cup shortning
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

In a mixing bowl, cream shortning, peanut butter, and sugars.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt and add to creamed mixture.  If you do not have a sifter, an easy way is to whisk the ingrediants together in a separate bowl, this works just as well. 

Roll mixture into small balls, aproximately 1 1/2".  Place on ungreased baking sheet 3" apart.  Flatten with a sugared fork, making the well known criss cross pattern. 
Bake at 375 degrees for 7 to 12 minutes.  Let cool slightly and remove from baking sheet.  Sit back and enjoy.

Extra note:  Recently per the Domestic Witch blog ( http://domesticwitch.blogspot.com/ ) she had a delightful recipe for lavendar sugar, which I intend to use.  I think that this would be perfect to use as a dusting on these cookies or possibly the sugar to dip the fork in before making the criss cross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment