Tuesday, July 14, 2009

P3

It seems that a mother always trys her best to teach her daughter the things that she feels will best help her in life later on. From cooking secrets, to cleaning tips, to just about anything. The tips could cover almost anything and sometimes nothing at all. Each mother has her own special secrets that her children feel she is quite good at. It is usually these areas that the children want to know all about. My area of expertise is cooking. Or so this seems to be it, if I go by the definition that I just stated. Cooking has always been something that I have loved to do. I remember as a child wanting nothing more for Christmas than an Easy Bake Oven. My mother was one of those moms that doesn't let you do anything in the kitchen because for it to be done right, she has to do it. I hope that I have not become like that. You know they say that you do become your mother.. but that is another story for another day.

My daughter wanted to know how to make a Peach Pie. The easiest of pies to make I think. Thus the recipe is on my blog. One way for a mother to bribe her daughter into reading her blog.

The pie crust of course is first. In the beginning, when I would make individual pies, I perfected a pie crust that had no recipe to it. It was the feel or consistency of the dough that let me know that it was right. Yet when you make a whole pie that changes. Because of kids and other time restraints, I yielded and used the pie dough you just roll out and lay in your pan. I was amazed at how people thought it was so good.. It was pretty, but it did not taste that good. At least I did not think so. Yet I used it, because it did the trick and it impressed. Tossed a little flour on my face and I was a great cook.

Yet as I have gotten older I take more pride in my creations and wanted to go back to the tried and true homemade pie crust. I attempted it a few times but just could not get it right. Then one day in the grocery store, I saw a box of Betty Crocker pie crust mix. Couldn't hurt, I thought. So I purchased one. It was the easiest crust ever and when baked it looked and tasted just like granny's. I had finally found the perfect pie crust.

Following is my recipe for P3 - or Perfect Peach Pie. I hope you try it out and enjoy every bite of it.

1 box of Betty Crocker Pie Crust
2-3 cups of sliced fresh peaches
lemon juice
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
2 Tablespoons Butter
Dash of Cinnamon and/or Nutmeg

Prepare the pie crust according to box. Divide in half. Roll the first half with a rolling pin until it is approximately 10 inches in diameter. Fold Crust in half and lay in 8 inch pie pan. Gently press the crust to lie the pan evenly. Trim off any excess crust around edges. Place remaining dough to the side for later use.

Peel and slice peaches. Cling free are best as they will pull away from the seed best. Be careful to choose firm yet ripened peaches. Not too hard and not too mushy. Once peaches are sliced, sprinkle lightly with lemon juice and toss. This keeps the peaches from turning brown. Frozen peaches can also be used. Thaw part way before using. Do not thaw completely as this will cause the peaches to become mushy and may turn them dark. In a separate bowl mix the flour, sugar, and spices together. Gently pour over the peaches, folding the mixture so that the peaches are completely covered. This will make a gummy paste like mixture. Pour peaches into the pie pan lined with crust. Filling should make a slight mound. Filling will cook down slightly. Cut butter into small pieces and lay over the pie filling randomly.

Take the left over pie crust and roll into a 10 in circle. Fold crust and lay over the filled pie shell. Crimp the edges of the pie together so that it is sealed. Everyone has their own way of doing this . Any excess pie crust can be cut off and used later to make cinnamon crisps. Be sure and cut a center hole in the pie crust and several others. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle sugar on top.

Place in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until the crust is lightly brown and the mixture can be seen bubbling in the center hole. Let cool and enjoy... Could not be easier.

Peace & Love
Janie
Content copyright 2009 - Janie Sheik - All rights reserved

1 comment: