Friday, August 28, 2009

Barely Holding On



As August quickly ends, as it goes it takes with it the last remains of summer... The days have shortened and the mornings are cooler. Each morning the ground is covered with a heavy dew. Fall is fast approaching. I have to be honest and say that I am glad for change. Autumn is my favorite season. I love the changing colors of the trees, the way the animals seem to be overly active preparing for the colder months ahead.

The hummingbird feeders are now needing to be filled at least once a week and sometimes more as they prepare for their long journey south not long from now. The grass has slowed and is not needing mowed nearly as much as earlier in the season. Signs of the local Armadillo can be seen through out the yard as he forges for food each night. Even my cats are starting to fatten up. It can be seen in everything.

Still there are a few signs of summer still holding on. My hibiscus still occasionally gives me a brilliant flower to enjoy. I always know when I will be receiving another gift soon, as the bud appears and within a few days another beautiful face appears. They are a beautiful plant. The flower does not stay long, a day maybe two if we're lucky. Yet for that time it lifts its face up towards the sun for all it is worth.
This morning when I sat on the back porch to enjoy my morning coffee, I could see the reminder that in a day or two I would once again receive a present. A beautiful red one.

Take a moment, and enjoy something beautiful and have a wonderful weekend.
Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment